Monday, April 4, 2016

Absence does not make the heart grow fonder.... or the debt go away....

It's been well over a year since I last posted and in that time, I don't think my net worth has really increased at all.  The good news is, I don't think it's gone down either.  After 14+ years at the same job, I finally bit the bullet and quit, found a new job paying slightly less, but much closer to home and lots of great benefits.  When it was brought to our CEO's attention that the new health insurance was going to cost us more, he gave everyone a raise to cover it.  Then last month, we started getting an $8/day stipend for lunch that we could use at one of six local restaurants.  We just had reviews in which we all got a raise and stock options.  Can I say how happy I am that I finally made the leap to something new?!  It's not always good to stick with what is comfortable and dependable.  For me, this gamble (as I like to think of it!) really paid off.  I am now making more money than I was at my last job, I am appreciated, I get lunch paid for everyday and I love what I'm doing.  I never wake up feeling depressed about having to go in to work. 

Now the bad part....for this new position, I have to dress much more professionally so I did have to go out and buy new clothes.  BUT, I was smart and only bought a few things, mostly basic staples and then went thrift store shopping for the fun, quirky, one of a kind pieces.  I've been able to find lots of great items and now love getting dressed up for work. 

I did buy a new car last December, well not new, but new to me.  I found a great deal on an SUV which is what the BF and I have been wanting.  My commute is 3 miles daily, his is 43 each way, so it made much more sense for me to have the SUV than him.  I got a much better interest rate on the new car and so far I am loving it. 

Oh, one more thing, my office just put in an espresso machine that does over 100 different drinks at the push of a button.  I feel like I've gotten another raise just due to the decrease in my Starbucks stops as well.  I'm working on funneling that savings along with my raise into paying down my debt. 

I did have some pretty hefty medical bills last fall that I had to put on my credit cards, but I am no longer using the cards and paying them down as quickly as possible.  Any extra money I find, I am trying to put directly toward the debt.  I'll keep you posted on how it's going. 

Current debt total:  $220,230.31  (Nice to see it's gone down since last year, but not that much!) 

No comments: