Thursday, May 8, 2014

Zippity doo dah...

Payday is tomorrow and I still have $50 in my checking account.  I certainly did not think that would happen.   I thought for sure I'd been down to the bare bones, few pennies left in the checking account by today.  I've figured out all of my bills to be paid with this check and I'm happy to report that there is still a hefty amount left in the account until the next payday.  Yay!  I'd love to make additional payments on some things, but I don't want to jump the gun and end up scraping by for the next couple weeks. 


Unfortunately not a lot will change with the total debt reduction because most of these bills are just my basic day to days, but at least they are all paid and I have some mad money left. Knowing me though, it'll drive me nuts not to pay something to debt, so I'll probably end up doing that before the next payday. 


I have a couple of vacation days coming up with not much really planned.  I'm looking forward to taking it easy for a couple days and seeing what pops up.  I do have a few plans, nothing major, but one I'm really looking forward to and dreading at the same time is meeting with my financial planner.  I have a love/hate relationship with this.  I love the idea of having finances to plan with, but am disappointed that I don't have them.  I'm getting better though at not overspending and making frivolous spending decisions.  Baby steps, baby steps.  As far as finances go, I'm diligently putting away the full match each year in to my 403(b) plan from work and I have a small pension coming from a previous job.  It's been years since I've been able to contribute to my Roth and I think it's time that changed.  I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about making this a bill to myself each month and see what happens with that.  I keep saying I'll do it when my debt is paid off...well news flash, that never seems to happen.  This time, I'm going to make it a bill I pay and force myself to do it.  The nice thing is, IF I really needed that money in my Roth, I could take it out at any time as long as I don't touch any of the interest.  It's my intention not to touch any of this money until retirement though and so far I've not touched any of my retirement money and I hope to keep it that way. 


Other than that, not too much going on here.  I found out that both my mortgage payment and my insurance payment are each going to be dropping by about $11/month, so I will reallocate that money to my car loan.  thankfully I have no credit card debt and the only other debt is the loan from my parents who won't take more than 1 payment/year and then my mortgage.  While the interest is slightly higher on my mortgage than it is on my car loan, the car loan will be paid off much sooner, so that's where any and all extra money is going to currently go. 


Hope you're all enjoying the May flowers after all the April rain. 


Current debt total:  $227,478.73  (slowly dropping!)

2 comments:

Ralph S said...

It's good to see that you're doing everything that is possible to finish paying off your debt. Most people would be overwhelmed quickly, but not only did you not give up, you even found ways to shorten the time needed to complete your payment. Meeting up with your financial planner is also a good idea, since he can give you ways on how to prevent spending what could have been otherwise used to pay your loans. Good luck!
Ralph S @ Loans for Less

randy said...

Hi, Nice blog I had a great time reading it. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on link list? Please email me back. Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387 at gmail.com