Monday, November 12, 2012

Reducing expenses...

I've been taking a look at a lot of what I thought were my "fixed" expenses and am finding that I can reduce these as well.  It had been awhile since I'd looked at my insurance rates, so I ran some quotes with different companies today and found that I could go back to Progressive which I'd had in the past and save over $500/year.  That's HUGE!!  My homeowners policy is also going to be just under $100 less per year by switching.  I had Progressive insurance years ago when my car was stolen and they were great to work with, so I'm excited about the savings and not worried about the coverage.  That $600 savings alone would put me under $1,000 left to go on my credit card debt! 

I finally turned my heat on this past Saturday night, but it didn't take much to take the chill off and I think if I'm diligent about it this year I can reduce the costs from what I paid last year. 

I took a full inventory of my pantry and have made a meal plan for the next 2 weeks.  I should only have to buy a few minimal items between now and Thanksgiving.  I know my mom will send me home with LOTS of leftovers and I won't balk at that.  Apparently she thinks I eat a lot as a single person because she always sends me home with enough food for almost a week. 

I cut my cable back somewhat too, not to just basic, but close.  I watch TV maybe a couple times a week, so it just doesn't make sense for me to have extended cable and all the extras, I don't watch enough TV to get my money's worth.  This change will save me $16/month and will really add up. 

A good friend was supposed to be coming in to town this coming weekend which I was really looking forward to, except I knew I would spend WAY too much money.  Since I put the money aside to spend while she was here, I'm going to go ahead and put it toward reducing my credit card instead.  I think I may actually get that final $1,550 paid off before New Year's Eve.  OMG, that would be the BEST way to start 2013.  Then I can plow full steam ahead in paying off the car. 

Well, that's about it for now, hope all is well with you.

Current debt:  $233,351

1 comment:

Sense said...

Awesome job!!! That is so great!