Thursday, January 12, 2012

Just going through the motions....

It's been a long week! BF and I are arguing, about what you ask? Money! He has quite a bit of debt from his divorce, I have some from mine as well, but not as much, my main debt is my car and my mortgage and I'm passed that living paycheck to paycheck, but he's not. He seems to be OK with that and the occasional bouncing of a check, I'm not OK with that and I'm having a hard time dealing with his nonchalance with money. I've worked really hard to get where I am and to have the credit score that I do and I'm not sure I want to move forward with a life with him if he's not willing to put in the hard work to get things paid off and be debt free. It also does not seem to bother him that he's still listed on the mortgage of the house that his wife was awarded in their divorce. She's in no rush to refinance and he doesn't see an issue with that. He's currently working on getting his bills paid on time, but doesn't want to listen to my advise. I have a credit score over 800 and have never paid a bill late, recently had no problem getting a $26,000 loan for my car, I was approved in less than 10 minutes, yet he seems to think he's got it all figured out. I'm hoping that we can sit down this weekend and go through all of his bills and plot out a plan, not only to get him paying them on time, but paying them off. He says that's what he wants, but I think it might just be lip service. Wish me luck!

Current debt total: $242,805.55 (hoping for some survey money in this weekend to bring this down a bit more.)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh goodness, good luck with all this. I completely understand. It's so hard to be on different pages about money with your significant other. And the house - I once dated a guy who was divorced, and he didn't even KNOW his name was still on the mortgage with his ex-wife! He claims he signed his part of the paperwork but she never signed hers, then she forged his signature to get a 2nd mortgage on the house! Thankfully she paid it on time so it helped his credit, but that's all in the past now. No drama that huge with my hubby. Anyway, best of luck to you, and don't let him drag you (or your amazing credit score) down!

Michelle P said...

I'm sorry! That's a tough situation.

Kimberley said...

Sometimes taking baby-steps is the key to get other people who are in a financial mess. At least he wants get his bills paid on time. It took me having many discussion with my husband before he understood why I was frustrated. Even though we aren't always in complete agreement with the finances, he now has a better understanding of where I am coming from, and even more importantly that we need to get out of our debt together. It will work out don't worry!! You are doing great with your own debt reduction!!