Monday, March 7, 2011

1 week in and not doing too well...

This is suppose to be my frugal year and March was going to be SUPER frugal. So far, it's a bust!! I'm working on getting that under control. I went out of town for the weekend, so of course I spent much more money than normal, but now that I'm back, I should be able to reign it in. I was starting to make my grocery list to stop on the way home today and then started thinking about what's in the cupboards at home and decided that I will see what I can do with what I have first before going shopping. If I'm really good, I should be able to make it all week without having to set foot in the store. I just need to be good about planning ahead and not changing my mind about what I want to eat. Food is my biggest budget buster category, but I'm working on getting this more under control. Here it is the 7th and I've not had a single "no spend" day yet this month. Very frustrating!!

I have a big loan payment ($2,000) coming up to my parents at the end of April and I have to make sure I have the money for it, so I've scaled back my credit card payments so that the money will be there when I need to pay them. I've also decided that I'm not using the credit card for ANYTHING else. So, I had to make a smaller than normal payment, still over the minimum, in order to get my spending under control and to have the cash necessary to meet my basic needs. I've always been the type to make really big payments and then pull out the card to pay for groceries and gas as needed. I'm trying to break this habit, so it will take some getting use to, but I think it's going to be good.

Other than that, not too much going on in these parts, I hope it's starting to look like spring in your neighborhood, I'm ready for it here!

3 comments:

LBC Teacher said...

I think it's really important to budget accurately so you can stop using your credit card at the end of the month...I used to do that and it would give me a false sense that I was getting somewhere when I really wasn't.

babybluewater said...

I agree with LBC Teacher. I was doing the same thing and have recently stopped myself. Pay less if you have to so you have some cash on hand to pay for those items you need along the way. Good luck!

change is a good thing said...

Thanks LBC and BBW. I agree. I think it'll be better for me to be making smaller payments each month, but not adding any charges than it would be to make big payments and then find out I need to pull the card out to make ends meet. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.