Monday, February 7, 2011

Saving money, putting it toward reducing my debt...

So, I'm house sitting for my parents for the next 20 days and I realized this morning while looking at my budget, this will save me a bundle of money. My parents grocery shop as if they still have a houseful of kids, so there is PLENTY to eat, therefore I will not need to go grocery shopping for quite awhile. Yay! I'll be at their house using there electricity and saving on my energy bill at my place. Their house is closer to work than mine is, so shorter commute equals savings of gas. They also live much closer to my brother and his family and I usually drive out there at least once a week to go see them, so that'll be nice to save time and money. They have a big, beautiful, brand new house, so it's kind of like being on vacation too. :) Except for that part about having to get up and go to work every day. :( Oh well, I'll at least enjoy some serious savings while staying there.

Oh, and I sold 2 books on half.com that will net me about $70 which will go directly toward debt reduction as well. Yay!

8 comments:

single mom, ditching debt said...

nice! $70 for two books is pretty good

Melinda said...

This sounds awesome!!!!!! My mom always kept a stocked fridge and pantry too. Sorta really was like vacation going over there!

I was just curious about something.I am trying like crazy to save and be frugal. But buying clothes seems to be the one thing that can push me over the edge sometimes and blow my budget all to he**. I always feel like I NEED something and I know I really don't. How does your wardrobe work for you during this time where you aren't doing any shopping? Do you work with a minimalist wardrobe?

change is a good thing said...

@ Melinda: I am lucky that for my job I can wear jeans everyday and I always find great ones at second hand stores. I also keep my tops all in very basic colors. Mostly black, which means it's easy to just have a black purse, black shoes and black belt. I wear the same earrings everyday, so no changing out there. I'm not much of a clotheshorse, so I guess I don't think much about spending on stuff like that, but if I do feel the need for something new, I generally head to the secondhand stores and for just a few dollars, I can have a whole new look. I also find that cleaning out my closet or rearranging it, I find things I forgot I had and bring them to the front, it's like getting new clothes when I rotate them around. But in answer to your question, I do keep to a very minimalist wardrobe, it sure makes getting ready in the morning much, much easier. :) I hope that answers your question.

Melinda said...

Thank you, yes it does. :) Thank you ~ I truly enjoy your blog. (I found you from Leigh Ann's Project Debt Free LadyBug blog.) Hoping to try out your taco soup recipe this weekend!

halfdozendaily said...

Sounds great!! :) That'll help with your debt repayment i'm sure!

Melinda said...

Hi there! So I tried the taco soup recipe and it was FANTASTIC!
Thinking I will try the other recipe this weekend coming. If you come across any others, please do share. This recipe really made alot of soup, it will cover several meals!
Thanks so much. I hope you had a good weekend and a nice Valentine's Day.

change is a good thing said...

@Melinda: So glad that you liked the Taco Soup, it's one of my favorites...in fact, I had some for lunch today. This was one I made about a month ago and put some of it in the freezer. I think you'll like the corn chowder too. My mom adds crab to hers, but that's not in my budget, so I love it when she makes it. :)

Jaden Allred said...

Are you debt-free now, or even close to it? I find it amusing what ways people came up with to reduce their debts. I’ve actually done that, living in my parent’s house and practically saving on most of my bills. I believe it is a clever strategy. ;D Have you tried holding a garage sale? It’s one of the fastest ways to raise money and pay for debts or allot to other parts of your financial plan, not to mention the de-cluttering benefit. ;] -->Jaden Allred