Thursday, February 3, 2011

Frugal, easy recipes that strech your budget...

I cook a lot at home and rarely eat out, I bring my lunch to work every day and really enjoy a good home cooked meal. Here are a few of my favorite recipes that are easy to make and feed a lot for little money.

Taco Soup
2 lb. ground beef, turkey, chicken (whichever you prefer)
2 cups chopped onion

Brown the hamburger and onion until cooked throughly. Add to crock pot or soup pot.

Dump the following in, do NOT drain the cans...

1 can tomatoes with chiles
1 can chili tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced chiles
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch mix
1 can sliced black olives

Heat thoroughly and serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!


Corn Chowder

4 slices of bacon; browned
1 cup onions
1 cup celery
1 cup grated carrots
4 cups diced potatoes
2 cups water

Boil until almost done and add...
2 15 oz. cans creamed corn
1 8 oz. canned milk
2 T chicken bouillon

Heat through completely . So good!!!

These are 2 of my all time favorites soups and I never tire of them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

These sound delicious! Yum!

Petunia said...

Those sound good. I have a corn chowder recipe I like to make too. And here is another favorite of mine:

Cube and boil some potatoes. Slice and brown linguica.
Drain potatoes.

In a pot, open 2 cans of peas. Add potatoes and linguica. Boil.

Crack open a few eggs, drop them into water.

When eggs are cooked, enjoy.

Yum!

It's not really soup as I don't eat the broth.

alaskadreamin said...

The soups sound great. I love taco soup, but have never made chowder. I will try that recipe. Thanks!
FYI, you really should drain AND rinse the pinto and kidney beans as most canned kidney and pinto bans contain sugar and way too much sodium in them. I was shocked to read the labels and find this out last yr, but now I always drain and rinse the beans and anything else that has added sugar and/or sodium listed on the label.

Melinda said...

These recipes sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you have a great weekend!!