Friday, January 28, 2011

Winter blahs....

I seem to have the winter blahs right now. It's cold and grey and rainy, what do I expect, I live in Seattle! Oh well, we had a day or 2 this week that were brighter than normal, but today it's back to grey. Last weekend I painted an accent wall in my bedroom and it came out really great. This weekend I am planning on painting my bedroom. This isn't as inexpensive a project as I had hoped it would be, but it's also making a big difference in my place without shelling out a lot of money, so I guess I should be happy. I've lived in my condo for 4 years now and hadn't painted anything until last week. My Grandma gave me a Visa gift card for Christmas for the purpose of painting and I'm happy to say that the gift card helped out a lot on the last purchase. I'm also able to use the remaining half gallon of paint in the bathroom, so I will only have to go buy the top coat that will go over this. The bathroom paint is going to have a metallic finish to it and I'm really excited to see what it's going to look like. Next up is going to be the wall in my living room that my fireplace is on. After that, I think I'll hold off on painting anything else for awhile. I need to get some living room furniture, so that will be the next major purchase after the divorce debt is paid off.

I'm kind of enjoying the simple life right now and not spending much money. So far this month I have only spent $32.46 on groceries and I've been cooking a lot more than normal. I haven't eaten out in a restaurant at all, huge savings there and I have no new clothes. The next few months have a couple of big expenditures, so I will do my best to keep the spending in control so that I won't be adding to my debt. Usually in February I have my college football season ticket renewal and I always get 2 tickets along with my brother who buys 4 for his family. This year I told him I am only going to get 1 for me, I'm not going to buy the 2nd one as I just don't have the money for it and it'll be nice to not have to scurry around trying to find someone who wants to go or being disappointed about a ticket going to waste. I also have to make my annual loan repayment to my parents in April. After that, it should be a fairly inexpensive couple of months through the summer. I'm still plugging along paying off this debt, I just wish it would go down quicker.

I'm doing a great job, I think, in tracking all of my spending and seeing every place I can cut back. I look forward to more savings as I continue on and hopefully I will keep this in place even after all the debt is paid off.

Happy end of January weekend....

3 comments:

Live Simply- Live Well said...

I think it is awesome that you are so driven and motivated to get out of debt so quickly. A few years ago when we were in debt, I read your blog and it continued to inspire me to get rid of our debt and simplify our lives.
You will be out of this whole before you know it!

Melinda said...

Hi! I absolutely love your blog. Alot of the things you are dealing with are very similar to my own situation. You're very inspiring and your honesty is refreshing. I know what you mean, the winter blahs have gotten to me too. I am ready for springtime here in the South! :) Please keep us posted on how you are!

Melinda said...

I thought of something else....could you post the recipes that you use? That soup recipe in particular.

Thanks!