Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Time to move onward and upward...

The divorce is FINAL!! As of Monday afternoon, I am a free woman. I have paid all of my attorney bills and now have an accurate accounting of where my debt is at. Now it's time to get through Christmas and really buckle down and pay off this mountain of debt. I have a local jeweler trying to sell the center stone diamond from my wedding ring on consignment and he felt very hopeful that he would be able to sell it for me between now and Valentine's day. If he does, that would be fantastic as it would make a great big dent in this debt. I only have about 4 gifts to buy for Christmas still and that should only run me about $100, so that's not too bad. It looks like we'll be getting a bonus at work this year too, so that will also help. I plan on going on a really strict, tight budget after the first of the year and working my fanny off to get this paid off ASAP. I'm working on cutting my bills as much as possible, raising the deductible on my insurance, I've dropped Internet at home and am being conservative with electricity and not watching much TV, I think I will even be able to drop cable all together here soon. I've been reading like a madwoman and haven't missed watching TV at all. I'm making a more concentrated effort to drive less and make more sense in the routes I'm taking, so less backtracking. I'm rarely eating out and am cooking enough so that I always have leftovers for lunch the next day. I'm on a clothes shopping hiatus, I have plenty of clothes anyway and if I really need something, I've been able to find it at the local consignment shops. I've decided that I am not sending out Christmas cards this year, I just can't afford it and I really am not fully in a holly, jolly mood with all that's gone on these past several months. I'll keep you posted on how the debt repayment is going.

7 comments:

Little Miss Moneybags said...

Congratulations and good luck to you!

Sharon said...

Congratulations on your new found freedom. It sounds like you'll have your debt paid off in no time!

LoLa said...

This is wonderful news!

Sense said...

Congrats! You sound like you are getting your life completely back on track, and even better than before! Oh, what we have to go through to learn life lessons... :)

halfdozendaily said...

Sounds like you definitely have the right attitude move forward! Good luck with all your goals!! :)

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Congratulations. What a relief!

Jerry said...

Congratulations on your freedom! It's great also the progress that you are making on cutting your bills by dropping internet and so forth. Raising the deductible on your insurance will also lead to lower payments. All the best moving forward.