Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cutting down Christmas expenses...

Over the past several years I've been trying to make the holiday as stress free as possible and more enjoyable. This year I am down to just buying gifts for 5 people and then some stocking stuffers. My family and I have all embraced this new, more carefree approach and really look forward to just spending the time together as a family. My mom, sister in law and I still take one day off from work to do all of our shopping in one trip, it's a sun up to sundown kind of thing, but it's less about shopping now than it is about tradition and spending the time together. My brother and I also have one evening where we go out shopping together and have dinner, he and I have been doing this since we were little kids with our dad, and after dad passed away, we've kept up the tradition. These are the things I look forward to at the holidays. I'm a big baker and make lots of cookies and candies, which I give to all of my friends and family and they all thoroughly enjoy and look forward to them. That gives me great joy to know that they look forward to my homemade treats. I should be able to do all of my shopping, baking, card sending and gift giving for under $250 this year. Yay! That will be great since I'm working really hard to pay back my divorce debt and won't have to get too far off track for the holidays and won't have a debt hangover after New Years because of overspending.

Do you have any holiday traditions that you look forward to that are more about the experience than money? I'd love to hear what they are....

No comments: