Friday, November 26, 2010

Things are improving...

Well, I've been gone for awhile and things are much better than the last time I posted. The soon to be ex and I attended mediation and we actually came to a resolution for our divorce and will not have to go to trial and the divorce will actually be final on Dec. 6. I can hardly wait! :) It's been quite the fight, but we are in the home stretch now. I have wracked up $10,000+ in legal fees and had to pay him $3,000 as a settlement, but I am going to be free from all of this soon. Basically I ended up buying my freedom, but we're almost there and at least I was able to stop the increasing legal bills even more and it will all be done in less than 2 weeks. Now it's time for me to buckle down and work on getting the debt paid off and building the savings account back up. I need to get back to my frugal ways and will feel much better when this debt is behind me. Thankfully I won't have to buy much in the way of Christmas gifts, it's fairly small in my family, so that will help a lot and I'm good at cutting back and stretching a dollar. I'm optimistic about the future and getting back to a good financial place soon.

I hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving and was able to take some time and reflect on what we all have to be thankful for right now. Even with all the nasty divorce stuff going on, I know I have much to be thankful for and many others don't have it as good as I do right now. Wishing you all a blessed holiday season.

5 comments:

Moneyapolis said...

What a relief! I'm glad you were able to work it out without a trial and that this whole experience is almost behind you. The settlement sounds very manageable and knowing you, you'll have the debt paid off in no time. Congrats!

Jolie said...

The lawyer's fees are scary but I suspect adding court costs in would have been far worse. Here is to a 2011 of fresh starts.

Sharon said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm very happy it is almost over for you!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Hey that's a huge relief. At least it didn't go into 6-figures like some divorces.

Dreamin said...

I'm glad to see you back posting and that your divorce is just a few days away. Wishing you all the best.