Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Divorce is moving along....slowly...

I finally had the papers served on the soon to be ex on Sept. 3rd, then he filed his response to my petition on Sept. 15th. His response was so completely unreasonable that I have had to hire an attorney. Grrr! For goodness sake, we lived together as a married couple for just under 6 months, and he feels he is entitled to half of my retirement (he has none of his own!), alimony in the amount of $1,000/month, my wedding ring back, medical insurance coverage paid by me until the divorce is final and a cash settlement of $20,000!!!!

In Washington, divorce cases now require you to go through mediation to hopefully save the court's time and money. I've paid my half of the mediation fee, now we are just waiting for the ex to pay his half so that we can get it scheduled. He's refusing to pay his half, so we might be able to get this waived and go straight to trial. It's all so frustrating, this should be a fairly simple and easy divorce, but I guess there really is no such thing. Darn it! So far I have spent $6800 with an attorney and we're no closer to getting signatures on papers than we were on Sept. 15th.

Hopefully soon we will be able to get past all of this and get on with things. I just want to put all of this behind me and move forward.

9 comments:

Alice said...

Sorry to hear that he is being a a-hole about it! Guess you should have expected no less since you are so different... hope it works out in the end and before you know it the trial will be over and the lawyer worth it. Can I just say thank God you didn't have children? This seems like the kind of guy to propose a custody battle just to spite you. Ugh. Hang in there!

Moneyapolis said...

That is crazy!!! I'm so sorry you have to endure all this and hope if gets resolved soon. But what a windfall for the lawyers.

Daizy said...

Wow...very sorry to hear that. I suppose he thinks if he shoots for the stars he might at least get something. It is too bad he is trying to use you like that. And like the other commenters said, the only people who win in a divorce are the lawyers.

Luca Isabella said...

I guess he is lazy and just looking for someone to pay his way thru life you should be glad once the divorce is over that you no longer have to be with him and I would feel sorry for the next person he is with. He seems like the type to just hope someone takes care of him, he needs to wake up and realize he should get his act together and man up.

Anonymous said...

Another thing he does not realize your retirment accounts belong only too you no matter if you are married so he cannot ask for it because it does not legally belong to him. Good luck!

Petunia said...

To me, it kind of sounds like he doesnt want the divorce and so is being difficult in order to drag it out. His blaming you for everything is also classic alcoholic behaviour. Have you considered Al-Anon? It is for families of alcoholics. It may help you understand and accept as you grieve, heal, and move forward.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Continue to be strong. Life will be good again once this is behind you.

Live Simply- Live Well said...

I am so sorry. I hope that you can get this cleared up soon, I know it must be a hassle. At least you will have this mess out of your life.

bugsi033 said...

I'm a newbie to reading your blog, but just want to remind you...."and this too shall pass". Life will get good again, and this will be a small blip in it. I know this from experience. Good luck & keep your chin up.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Just wondered how you are, hope everything is going okay. Let us know how you are.

Love your blog!
Melinda