Thursday, May 13, 2010

Getting divorced is more work than planning a wedding...

This is absolutely ridiculous, but it is a lot more work to get a divorce than it is to get married. My soon to be ex is making my life miserable in the meantime. I finally moved out of the house last Thursday and when I went back on Monday to get the rest of my clothes and personal belongings, he had barricaded the door! I had to call 911 to get assistance in order to get my things. Now he's been in a drunken stupor for several days, he shut off my cell phone and now his mom is here to try to reason with him and to help me get my stuff back. All I really want is my furniture I had before. I'm not asking for much really, a couple of the wedding gifts we received and for him to pay me back some, not all, of the money I put in to the condo for our renovations. He's retaining the condo, so I think he should pay me back for some of the upgrades, or at least pay off the debt that's been incurred throughout that process. Grrrr! Makes me so angry whenever I think about it, so for now, I'm not going to think about it. Just wanted to drop a quick little note on here so y'all didn't think I'd dropped off the face of the planet.

7 comments:

Daizy said...

One thing I have learned from everyone else's divorce is to get all of your stuff while the spouse is away. Sorry things aren't going smoothly.

LeighAnn said...

That is horrible. It's amazing how, when you first get married everything is incredible and the spouse in everything you dream of and then when you are going through a divorce they turn into Satan! That totally sucks. I am so sorry you have to deal with all that. It is ridiculous. Just know that you have support and friends here. You can come and vent anytime by just signing on and we will support you and help you through it.

singlemom said...

Divorce is tough. I went through the same with mine and he didn't want to give me any money with our renos. Ugh, I hope things work out for you

paisley penguin said...

I am so sorry. Keep your head up and know you are making a healthy decision. You will get through this. We all support you!

Moneyapolis said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang in there and good luck getting the rest of your stuff and some renovation money back from him.

Sharon said...

Having gone through my own divorce years ago, it all came flooding back after reading your post. I can only say that time does heal wounds, and this will pass and be a distant memory. It's nice that you have your ex's mother to help you. Hopefully you'll get through to him. Stay strong!

Petunia said...

How do you and STBX hold title on the condo you shared? Are you on the mortgage? Please be certain that you get your name off of everything.

My ex-husband just went through foreclosure. The house was one we had bought together. When we divorced, he kept the house, but we did a refi first so that only his name was on both title and mortgage. It was worth every cent!

I also suggest you pull your credit report and make certain that every joint account is closed.