Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stressed to the max...

Sorry to have been MIA for awhile, things have gotten really stressful, and just when we think there's a light at the end of the tunnel, something else happens and darkness again! We ended up getting screwed by the designer and the company that she works for in regards to our kitchen. The initial bid was more than doubled once we got closer to starting to do the work. So, we are now doing a lot of the work ourselves, which is good since it will save us a lot of money and we know that's a good thing, it's just going to take so much longer than we anticipated. BUT, we are doing fine and we will get through this.



Then last week, I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning and to have a tooth checked that had been being watched. Turns out it needed a root canal and rather urgently. So, next day I headed to the endodontist for my root canal which turned in to 2 root canals! Thank God for dental insurance and paid time off!! I'd never had a root canal before so I had no idea what to expect, thankfully this dentist was great and super fast. I didn't even feel the shots! Yay!

Yesterday DH got the word that he is going to be taking a temporary pay cut down to minimum wage until their next project starts. This really stinks since we are in the middle of our kitchen remodel and they didn't let him know until yesterday that this will go in to effect on his paycheck this Friday. They drafted the letter to him on Jan. 23rd, but didn't send it until yesterday!!!! Grrr! So crappy! So, I guess it's time to dip in to the emergency savings and do what we can to cut back wherever possible. Good-bye nice, fancy Valentine's dinner, oh well! We have decided instead to have a nice stay at home day in our jammies and watch movies. I will be working any overtime that I can in the meantime and doing what I can to cut back wherever possible. I've also gotten really serious about my survey opportunities and trying every single one that comes my way. Yesterday I did some that will result in a $21.50 check, which will always help out too. I have even gotten my DH doing surveys now and he loves it. He's having a great time trying out different products and giving his 2 cents.

We had our taxes done over the weekend and thankfully will be getting a very hefty return! Normally I wouldn't think this is a great thing, but the reason we are getting it this year is because DH was a first time home buyer and is getting the $8,000 tax credit. That's also really going to help us stretch through and make it through this belt tightening time period!

It will get better, I know it will, it's just hard to think about it right now. I'm going to keep my chin up and keep plugging along, not much else I can do about it! I hope things are going better for the rest of you out there. This too shall pass...

5 comments:

paisley penguin said...

Sorry to hear about the kitchen disaster. If you ever need an interior designer who can also use autocad let me know. My sister is one - I normally don't peddal things like this though.

Sorry to hear about your hubby's temporary change in finances. Celebrate your first married V day in your PJ's!!!!!

Live Simply- Live Well said...

wow you have got a ton going on. I am so sorry about your hubby's job. Hopefully his next project will start soon.
What a mess with your kitchen as well. At least you and husband get to spend some time together working on the kitchen.

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the kitchen remodel didn't go as planned. I can only imagine how stressful not having a workable kitchen is!

I think it stinks that employers can just decide when to lower pay...people need notice...which gives more reason to save, save, save until we don't need an employer anymore!

You don't need money to celebrate Valentine's day! It sounds like a great plan, just being together!

Moneyapolis said...

Change, just thinking of you and sending lots of good thoughts! Sorry you're dealing with so many stressful things at once.

change is a good thing said...

Thanks everyone! It's going to be tough, but we'll get through it. DH's first paycheck arrived today, went from $2250 take home to $584!! Ouch!

We had a good talk about things last night and he's going to look for something part time to help supplement and we're going to look at the belt tightening as a challenge. Maybe if we make a game out of it, it will be easier to deal with.

Thanks so much for all your nice thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.