Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Renovations are expensive...

We have just purchased the appliances for our kitchen and while they were actually quite a bit less than we were expecting, we have decided that we need to do a lot more in the space to make it work for us. We will have to put new carpet in the bedrooms as what is there is completely trashed, more so than what it looked like before we purchased, it's amazing what furniture can cover up!! This coming weekend we are going to tear out the old carpet and pad and let the place air out for a couple weeks, we've picked out new carpet, but are going to wait to install it until after we are done painting. And back to the kitchen, we have decided that we may as well bite the bullet and make the changes now as it's not going to get any cheaper and it'll be easier to do it before we move in. So, our next several weekends are going to be spent demo-ing out existing stuff in the condo, then working on painting and cleaning. I see a lot of nights and weekends at The Home Depot in my future as well, oh well, at least it's all going to be worth it in the long run, right? Please tell me it will all be worth it! :) Now we're really hoping we get a lot of money as gifts from the wedding, it'll really help out with these ever growing costs!

3 comments:

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm with 'ya!!
I really hope that you're taking 'before' pictures so that you can document your progress! I'm sure that it will be worth the extra time/ energy. You're lucky you get to work on it all before you move in :).
Also, I'm soooo jealous that you got new appliances-- and at a price under what you expected to spend!

The Executioner said...

Prioritize. Set a budget. It's easy to get lost in large numbers when you're dealing with home remodeling. My wife and I did a few project right away upon buying our new house, and left the others unfinished. They are still unfinished, and I can't say that our lives are incomplete because of it. But we have a lot less debt than we might have otherwise.

Live Simply- Live Well said...

post some before and after pics! I cant wait to hear about the changes.