Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm a little bit envious...

yesterday I went to my Mom's retirement party where she worked for just over 20 years. They had a lovely reception in her honor and it was so nice to see so many people turn out to wish her well on this new journey. I was amazed to hear so many people say they didn't think they would ever be able to retire as they knew they wouldn't be able to afford it. It got me thinking about my own retirement and how I am doing with it. I know I am nowhere near where I should be in terms of saving and need to get better about it. But I also reminded myself that I do have a pension that I can start drawing when I am 55, that I do not include in my current net worth. I hide this money from myself so it will be a little like finding money in a coat pocket when I don't expect it.

Anyway, I am so happy for my mom and I know she is in a great position to retire and not have money issues for the rest of her life. No wonder she looked so darn happy yesterday! She has worked very hard over the years and planned well and now will reap the benefits of that hard work. It was pure motivation for me to get my own butt in gear and follow in her footsteps. I came in to work this morning and increased my retirement savings by 2%. :) Happy saving everyone!

1 comment:

Live Simply- Live Well said...

hopefully one day we all can be in the same boat as your mom!