Sunday, June 14, 2009

Back from vacation and saving money...

I just returned from a week away, visiting the F and we had a wonderful time. He had to work while I was there, but we made the best of it, and it was just nice for us to be able to see each other every evening, the way normal couples do. Since he is still living in hotels, I had a lot to do even while he was at work, it was great to have a chance to lounge by the pool with a good book. The hotel was across the street from the mall, so on the days when the weather wasn't so good, I headed over there and wandered around. What an eye opener!! Holy moly things are expensive. I don't go to malls very much, so I was very surprised to see how many people are out and about trudging through the mall bogged down with loads of bags, and it got me to thinking, how are they paying for all of that stuff? I then started paying attention to people at the registers in the stores, watching as most pulled out credit cards to pay for things. This made me cringe, hoping that they are planning on paying those bills off in full when they arrive, but guessing that most of them are not. I use to be one of those people and was so happy to know that I am not that way anymore. I love it that when I buy something, I know that I own it from the minute it is put in the bag and I walk out of the store. If I do happen to use my credit card, I know that in less than 30 days, I will own whatever is in that bag. Just that simple thought was such a huge stress reliever. I had some money saved just for spending on vacation, to splurge with, but wouldn't ya know it? I didn't find a single thing that I thought was worth spending my hard earned money on. What a nice thought to come home from vacation with just about the same amount of money that I left with, well actually more since payday was while I was gone also. ;) So, first thing I did this morning when logging in to my bank was transfer some of that money from the checking account into my savings account. Now that was a greater thrill than anything that could have fit in a shopping bag. Heehee! Wedding is 5 months from tomorrow, so adding that money to savings will really help. I hope you all had a wonderful week and weekend! I'm back to work tomorrow, but only for a 4 day week, then I have another 4 day weekend. A girl could get use to this schedule.

1 comment:

Live Simply- Live Well said...

i see people paying with cc all the time and I really just feel bad for them. We got out of cc debt last november and out of student loan debt in Feb of this year and I cannot cannot cannont even stomach getting into debt again. We are now all cash and debit carding it. it feels so good not to have that weighing you down, but i dont think other people realize how much of a burden it is.