Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This year is flying by....

This month, like all the other months this year, is flying by!! Where has 2008 gone?! I am feeling really good about my finances right now, with the exception of my retirement accounts. But right now there is nothing I can do about that. I am sure it will bounce back, but it is frustrating to watch. I have kept my spending in check this month, even with going on vacation, I don't feel like I have overspent in any category and I still have money in my checking account. :)

Yesterday I made a deposit of $57 into my savings account from survey checks I have received. I love having extra money like that come in. And I took advantage of a $30 rebate for which I received the check in the mail after I had been to the bank. Isn't that always the way?! Oh well.

My dining out has only amounted to $16.00 so far this month, and that includes while I was on vacation. My friend and I mostly ate at her house, or we took advantage of some gift cards I had with me, also earned from surveys.

I have been adding money to my savings like a mad-woman and have over 70% of the money needed to pay my parents back in full come April. I am really hoping that with some belt tightening I can have all that I need to pay the loan off in full. If not, I will pay half of it this April, and the other half will be paid off next October. Wish me luck! I'm going to go after every money making idea I can to get all of this money together and get the loan paid in full. That will be such a great feeling to have paid them off 8 years early (or 7.5 years if I have to wait until October). I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I have started my Christmas shopping too. So far, I only have one present purchased, but I have been doing a lot of research and figuring out what I am going to get everyone. A friend and I also have decided not to exchange gifts this year, so that will make things easier and less expensive. :) This should be a lower stress holiday season for me and I am really looking forward to that!! I hope everyone is having a fantastic October and is looking forward to a frugal, fun-filled holiday season as well! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, OCT 15 is you're all anxious, this week everything is fine...

change is a good thing said...

Yep! Good point, that is true! :) And tomorrow I might be anxious again. I think the upturn in the market yesterday has helped my attitude. For now, I am taking it one day at a time and trying not to worry about the things I have no control over. Although I admit, sometimes that is easier said than done.

GretchenX said...

I always try to get my Christmas shopping done by Thanksgiving. I find that I'm less likely to over buy that way.

I also find myself stressed one week and OK the next. I try to think of it as a sign of progress - I'm not stressed all the time!

The Executioner said...

Paying debt off early creates such a feeling of accomplishment. I hope you are able to reach your goal by April (if not sooner). Well done so far!

Sammy said...

Sounds like you are in control of your life... What a great feeling that must be!