Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Wow, groceries are getting expensive

I stopped at the grocery store on my home from work today, with my list in hand and I only picked up 3 items that weren't on my list, but were on sale. I think I contemplated EVERY single thing I put in my cart! I don't think I have ever done that! I got out of there for $65, of which $19 will be re-imbursed from work for some office supplies and a birthday treat for a co-worker, but still, how could I have spent$46 on food just for me?! At least when I got home the groceries filled up my cupboards and I should be good for quite awhile, but still!! Sheesh! I will definitely have to really keep my eye out for sale items and stock up when I can. I am pretty good at buying the same things all the time so I know my prices and I know a lot of items I can get cheaper at Target, so I will start to do that. I am also happy that the farmer's market is opening next week and is right on my way home from work, so this should help out immensely! :)

Is anyone else getting as frustrated with the high cost of groceries?

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I've noticed that food prices are rising rapidly, and I had to raise my food budget by $50.00 a week. I started searching for deals in other places like Walmart, Target, BJ's etc. It's almost like it happened over night. It definitely took me by surprise!

asgreen said...

Completely frustrated! I have to be so careful when I'm there not to overspend now.

lpkitten said...

wow, i guess i haven't noticed that much but i mainly shop at fresh and easy. they're prices seem stable so faR. i do anticipate it getting much worse before it gets better...that is why i started my veggie garden!

budgets are sexy said...

oooooh, veggie gardens rock! i'm prob. the last person who should try that one out, but def. a good idea.

i haven't really noticed prices going up all that much, but the mrs. keeps a better eye on that stuff ;)

L@SpillingBuckets said...

Hi! I just checked out your blog after you commented on mine.

I am fairly new to the grocery game, so I haven't really seen much difference. (Fresh out of college, first time buying a lot of food, "it's always been this much $$")

I love the Public Market here, it's open all year and I have decided it's going to be my new primary shopping location even in the winter.

We are in a second floor apartment, but we do have a balcony, and I want to try and start a mini-veggie garden. Just small things that can grow in pots with not a lot of space.

Canadian Saver said...

Things like bread and pasta should go up in price too (and most of us do eat those often) as well as anything that travels by truck. Well that's what, 99% if not 100% of the goods in the stores? I'm also seriously watching sales and stock up on non-perishables when they are quite low. It's the only way I can stick to my budget.