Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Why do I have such an aversion to spending money on myself???

I have been giving it a lot of thought lately, trying to figure out why I just can't seem to spend money and why although I have no problem spending money on other people, I don't tend to spoil myself. I think it has something to do with the fact that when I did spoil myself before, I didn't know when to stop and got my self in a heap of credit card debt. All through college I let my credit cards pay for everything, I would make my minimum payments so that I never hurt my credit score, in fact, I had an amazing credit score, which led to my being able to obtain more credit. Ugh, what a mess!!! My first year out of college, I spent at least 75% of my time working. I would work a shift, the whole time, hoping and praying that someone would call in sick so that I could take their shift to earn extra money. That first year, I paid over $17,000 worth of credit card debt. Over the next couple of years I would rack up a little more debt here and there, but still I was making progress. I vowed once I finished paying off the debt, I would NEVER get into needless credit card debt again. To this day I only use my credit card for less than $100 worth of charges a month, if the balance gets higher than that, I have an anxiety attack. I try to tell myself now that it's OK to spoil myself a little and splurge every once and a while, I just can seem to do it. I think I rather enjoy seeing my balances go up and being financially free of debts that the thought of doing anything to wreck all my progress scares the crap out of me! I know, I know, I need help. Any suggestions on how I can break free from this total frugal freakness? Or am I doing OK?

3 comments:

celebrayden said...

Sorry (really sorry) to put this in your personal comments, but I couldn't find a link to your e-mail. Really sorry. Honestly.

I am blogging for The Miami Herald, writing about my attempts to shave 10% off my already slender budget.

I am a college graduate. I don't have ANY savings plans. I live off what I make.

My blog is called Heavy Thrifting; please check it out, it's my first.

I've linked you on my "blogroll." Any reciprocal publicity would be a beautiful thing.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/no_spend_zone/

Thank you!

Escape Brooklyn said...

I know what you mean - being frugal can become an obsession in its own right. I find that I need to just budget for splurges every month or so, like to get my hair done or to buy some new clothes. Then the splurge is an expected expense and I've given myself permission, so I just pay for it like I would my mortgage or other fixed bills.

The Frugalista Files said...

I think you are doing great. I wish I could be more like you.