Wednesday, March 5, 2008

re: Extremely low grocery costs...

http://escapebrooklyn.blogspot.com/ asked me how I was able to only spend $36 last month on groceries and I realized that I probably didn't fill you in on everything. Sorry, not trying to hide any information from you, I just hadn't really thought about it. Last month I received (2) $30 gift cards from my local grocery store for having (2) prescriptions filled there. $60 in groceries definitely helped out that category in my budget and I stocked up on some really great sales they were having too.

I think I have also neglected to tell you that breakfast is always served at my office, so I never need to eat at home before heading in. And there are always stocked cupboards of snacks and sodas on hand for whenever we want or need something. This has been a huge help to the budget for sure. And if I forget my lunch some days, I can always eat cheese and crackers that are on hand there, saving on the dining out budget as well.

So, I apologize for not divulging all the information before, I hadn't meant to deceive anyone. I think I still do a pretty good job sticking to a budget and not overspending on my food. What can I say, I'm a cheapskate!!!

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Gift cards are great!! I wish I had some to the grocery store :-)

You certainly have great perks at work!! I've only ever had that at one job, when I worked in an apple packaging place... we could eat all the apples we wanted!

SavingDiva said...

Wow! I would love to have my food budget that low! I'm working on keeping it below $150!

pennypincher said...

Food always takes up so much money of my budget. My bf and I share the grocery bills, but boy men eat a lot. If I didn't cook dinner for him everynight, I could get away with a lot less. But, I think it is worth it. We enjoy our cooking together and it gives us time to chat and discuss our days. Plus, it is a easy way to discuss money with someone you hope to spend the rest of your life with. He is diligently helping me stick to my budget while making one of his own. Things look a lot different when actually written on paper.

Change can be a good thin - on a personal note. Thank you so much for all the positive comments you have left on my PF blog. It really means a great deal when you can connect with people in similar situations with similar goals. It makes me feel good about what I am doing when I get such great feedback.

Escape Brooklyn said...

Aha! Thanks for the explanation. Now if only I could get my monthly food spending below $200...

(And ditto what pennypincher said. Your comments are always so supportive and most appreciated!)