Saturday, March 8, 2008

Paying for expensive hair styling....

I really dislike my natural hair color, I mean REALLY dislike it, so I have been foiling my hair for years, um since like 6th grade, I'm now 36! That's a helluva lot of money spent on my hair over the years and it really ticks me off when I think of it like that. Not only the money, but I wonder how much time I have spent in the hairdresser's chair over the years? Yikes! So, I went in this morning to get my hair done again; for the 2nd time already this year and I bring up the idea of wanting to make the maintenance easier on myself and how can we go about that. My haircut is simple, hair is growing out, pretty much all one length, so nothing fancy in the way of a cut, but how do I make the coloring lower maintenance? Can I tell you that I love, love, love the gal that does my hair, she is so awesome!!! She always comes up with the best solutions, this time was no exception......We looked at the highlights she had done last time and found a color that didn't have as bad a grow out problem as some of the lighter colors. She colored all my hair that color, it's not far off from my natural color, but it had some real shine and vibrancy to it and then only put 4 foil packets up around my face to break it up. The result? Excellent! I will have a much easier (read: less expensive) hair color to maintain and I am really pleased with the color and love the way light reflects off of it. She trimmed it up and it looks great, much healthier and I love it. I'm so happy I thought about asking her about it. And she was happy that I was so happy. Oh, and she also gave me a discount because I sent a friend to see her a couple of weeks ago. Yeah!

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Oh that's a great solution! I'm glad your stylist worked with you on this.... Having it colored twice in 2008 already is a lot!!

I try to keep my color as natural as possible, so I usually can stretch the coloring to once every 6 months... I love my stylist too!

pennypincher said...

Wow, I am not up to waiting 6 months before getting my hair colored, but I am up to 3. Going to a shade more like your natural hair color is a great idea.

Escape Brooklyn said...

I try to wait six months between highlights, too, but I'm really struggling lately! I'm due to go in April but I really need some coloring like, oh, last month.

I'm going to splurge soon because I really can't stand my mousy brown hair much longer. I never used to be this obsessed, either - something about living in NYC combined with being in my thirties, I suspect.

But those highlights will cost me a small fortune at $80 plus tip. And then I'll end up wanting to get my haircut, too, for another $55. So painful but then my hair will look soooo much better!

SavingDiva said...

I'm glad to hear that you're downgrading your hair maintenance!