Monday, March 3, 2008

Goals for March....

Now that we are in the 3rd month of the year I think it's time that I start to look at the goals I set for the year and see where I am at in attaining them and what I need to do to get there. I am doing really well at adding to my Roth IRA and I am still maintaining my 3% auto contribution to my Simple IRA which will be fully matched, this one I know I can maintain. :) I have put off paying too much extra to my mortgage so that I can bring my cash savings up to $10,000 and fully fund my Roth IRA.

I am fairly frugal; but I think there is still more that I can do to save money and put it away before I spend it on other things. So, for the month of March, I am really going to focus on spending less, having more "no spend" days and putting the savings away. I'm hoping that I can have at least 18 days where I spend no money. I have tons of food still in my pantry and freezer and I am going to work on eating through what I have. Using up things I have before I buy new. I have so much in the way of beauty products too, I need to go through these before I buy more. It has finally started to warm up enough that I have turned off the heat again and if I get chilled, I put a blanket on to keep warm. My heating bill should definitely look much better this next time. :) I have reduced my cable from digital to basic analog to save money. And I don't anticipate eating out much this month, so that will be nice on the wallet too.

I am getting my hair cut and foiled this coming weekend and I know it will be about $100, but I can usually go about 3 months without having to do this again. I think I will talk to my stylist about going back a little more to my natural color and see if I can go longer between appointments.

With the cost of gas increasing all the time I am going to make a concentrated effort to drive less, plan my routes better when I am out and probably stay home more. Also with the weather getting better, I will be able to walk or ride my bike more places.

I know some people think that living like this does not sound fun, but to me, I really enjoy the challenge and seeing my net worth grow really makes it worthwhile. And if I am able to retire earlier that will really add to my happiness!!!

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I used to color and highlight my hair. Now, I'm all natural...my hair has never been healthier...and I pay $15 for a hair cut at the local Aveda beauty school...

Chitown said...

I defintely could take a note from your post and use all of my beauty products/ toiletries before buying more. Often when I am in the store, I buy something only to realize I already had it at home.

As for groceries, I have so much stuff, it's ridiculous. I am definitely going to try to cook a little more and use stuff up.