Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Tax time

It's getting to be that time of year where I have to drag out all my financial info to file my taxes. I have always done them on my own before and I'm hoping to continue to do that this year, but I'm a little leery of it since I bought my condo this year. Does anyone know if it's going to be more difficult for me to do them this year? I want to make sure I maximize my benefit of having purchased, but I have no idea where to begin!

I do know that if you earned less than $54,000 last year you can go to www.irs.gov and click on the link to free file. I have taken advantage of this over the past few years and I still qualify, so I'm going to attempt to do it that way again. I'm hoping that turbo tax or one of those will be available on free file and will walk me through everything dealing with my home purchase.

My goal for the upcoming weekend is to gather all the information and have it ready, so as soon as I have all of my statements I can file. I know I will get a refund this year, hopefully it's a big one! :) This will really help me fully fund my Roth IRA this year. Anybody else started to think about doing their taxes?

1 comment:

Canadian Saver said...

I'm in Canada, our deadline is April 30th each year. Most places don't send our statements until early February. I'm still planning on downloading the software I use and putting in some numbers that should pretty accurate.

Like you, I should stay organized all year long (wouldn't it be as simple to just put everything in a file folder??) and it'll be so easy next year.

Good luck getting a BIG refund!