Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas wrap up and 2008 goals....

Well, I did it! I spent much, much less on all Christmas gifts than I had anticipated and I feel great about it! I bought gifts for 19 people including 2 that received both Christmas and Birthday gifts, along with all the stocking stuffers and came in at just under $650! I'm quite pleased with this number as I took advantage of several coupons and shopping reward programs. I'm hoping next year to do even better with that aspect of things. I need to be a better planner for next Christmas and work on getting things done sooner. Haste makes waste and in this case that happened for sure. I know I could have done better if I had started sooner. Must work on this for next year!!

As for 2008, I have given a lot of thought to my goals and although I haven't outlined my plan yet for reaching them, these are the things I am thinking of:

  • I am going to fully fund my Roth IRA and again the full match amount from my employer to my Simple IRA.
  • I will continue to stay consumer debt free and I will bring my cash savings up to $10,000.
  • I will keep paying extra on my mortgage each month to drop PMI as soon as possible!

I have my spreadsheet ready and will track everything as the year progresses! Doing this really helps me keep my eye on it. I will spend the next couple of days strategizing how I am going to make these things happen, I may have to alter the goals a little, but I will see how it all plans out.

I wish everyone a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year.....

4 comments:

Escape Brooklyn said...

Wow, congratulations on your successful gift buying this year! I can't believe you got all those gifts for under $650! I spent more than $400 and feel as if I barely bought anything for anyone.

And your New Year's resolutions sound terrific, too. They're significant but totally doable!

last in line said...

Congratulations on staying within budget! I hope you have a wonderful new year and that you are able to achieve all of your goals.
Best of luck!

Kansas Simplicity said...

I like the PMI idea as I believe that is money spent better elsewhere and when you get the equity to a level that removes PMI, it can be extra principle, savings or other free cash flow for activities. You had a great year and I am sure 2008 will be another for the frugal czarina of the West!

change is a good thing said...

"the frugal czarina of the West!"
Why thank you for the wonderful nickname, I love it! :) Happy new year!