Thursday, November 8, 2007

The non-budget, budgeting....

So this month I have decided just to track what I spend and see where things fall at the end of the month. I didn't count the first couple of days while I was on vacation, because it is WAY too hard to track, but now that it is a full week into the month, I thought I would report where I am at.

I have spent $6.11 on groceries, and only $20 on gas. I picked up a prescription that will last the month for $5.50 and a few other health items for $5.86. Paid my 2 month electric bill that was $53.91, sent $200 to my money market for emergency savings, and spent $3.81 for photos to be developed from my vacation.

I'm still way overstocked on food and am going to try to plow through some of the food on hand before buying more. I don't have much going on this month that I should be spending money for. Even Thanksgiving will be fairly small, I will probably bake a couple of pies and make the salad. And I'm not one to fight the crowds at those crazy day after Thanksgiving sales, I would rather stay home and enjoy a quiet day getting my home decorated. And starting on my holiday baking.

I will still be keeping track of my spending, but I won't be trying to keep specific categories to a certain magic number. I'll just see how it all falls in to place and hopefully be able to send some more money away to savings before month end. ;)

1 comment:

Escape Brooklyn said...

I find it really helpful to track expenditures. I round up to the nearest dollar and try use cash to pay for everything. For example, I'll take $100 out of the ATM before the weekend to buy groceries, and then when the cash is gone I'm done.

Unfortunately, I find that there's never any money left at the end of the month!