Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Lunches

Today I was sitting down eating my lunch, that I had brought from home because, well, I always bring my lunch from home, and I was watching my coworkers all head out to buy lunch and bringing back all kinds of deep fried, greasy garbage. I was quite pleased with my tuna fish sandwich, carrots and home made cookies. I would be curious as to how much these people spend each day on their lunches and if they really enjoy them. I occasionally use to go out and buy my lunch and I never got much satisfaction out of it. I think I get more satisfaction of looking at my bank balances and the fact that I am still the same size I was in high school even though it is 17 years later. I'm convinced that my home made lunches are healthier and I was able to wear my prom dress to a party this past January, nice for two reasons, I still fit in to the dress, and I didn't have to go out and spend money on a new one. :)

When people ask me how to save money I always tell them the first thing to cut out of the budget is eating out. Then if they start tracking their spending and really look at it, they will see how much eating out gouges the budget. Some will whine that they have to spend money at the grocery store then and the grocery budget goes up. Well, yes it will, but in the long run you should still be saving money overall cooking at home v. eating out. I do occasionally eat out, but I find that I sit and look at the menu and am disgusted at the prices, and usually the food isn't any better than what I can cook at home, and I'm certainly no gourmet cook.

So, do you have any thoughts on eating out v. cooking at home?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you would like this show on A&E called Big Spender. It's on Saturday at 9 or 9:30am (I forgot exactly, Central time. On the last episode there was a couple that spends about 1700$/month eating out!!!!!! Can you believe that? That is something I could physically not do, I think I could get too sick. I'm going on a month long trip to India in a few weeks and I spend less on my ticket than they spend on just eating out!

Anyways I love your blog, keep up the good work.

Escape Brooklyn said...

I completely agree! I eat breakfast at home every day and always bring my lunch to work, and the savings are fantastic. I have co-workers who spend $3-$4 on breakfast and then another $6-$9 on lunch EVERY DAY, and that adds up to some serious cash. I'd rather put it in savings.

They argue that the "convenience" is worth it to them, but I feel like it doesn't take very long to make a sandwich at home. Plus it's so much less stressful than rushing off to some crowded lunch spot to get overpriced and often icky food that you're just going to eat alone at your desk anyway. IMO.

SavingDiva said...

I'm trying to cut back on eating out. At first, I made a lot of improvements...but now I'm stuck with eating out a few days a week. I'm trying to get it down to one lunch at our cafeteria (the cook makes fantastic soups)...and one dinner out on the weekend.