Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Shopping for groceries....

I really dislike shopping for groceries, so I usually put it off as long as possible. I have been doing really well and not spending much, rarely going to the store. Last night I came home from a meeting, tired and hungry. There was very little to eat in the cupboards and although the freezer had a lot, nothing was thawed and ready. It was raining and cold out, so I knew there was no way I was heading to the store or to pick something up. So, I rummaged through and found a box of mac and cheese and I had milk and butter, so I knew I could make that at least. I felt a little silly eating Spongebob mac and cheese, but no one was around to see it so it was fine. But at work today, while eating the rest of the mac and cheese for lunch I knew I was going to have to go to the store. So, after work, off I go to QFC, with my list in hand. There is nothing worse than going to the grocery store at 5:00 except getting there at 5:00 and realizing the store is in the middle of a remodel.......whoa, when did this happen, I know it has been THAT long since I was last here. So, up and down the aisles I go, checking things off my list, hoping to keep the cost down pretty well. I picked up enough to feed myself for at least a week when adding these new items to those in my freezer. I get to the check out, the cashier is cranky because of the remodel, the bagger is irritated that I have my own cloth bags because they are harder for him to put the groceries in, whatever and the cashier and bagger are busy talking to each other and don't say much to me, although they are talking about my purchases and my cloth bags like I am not even there. All a reminder to me of why I dislike the grocery store so much. Funny, I didn't mind it when I worked there, maybe because they were paying me to be there, hmmm, never thought about that before. :) So, my total comes to $25.78, not bad for enough food to last for a week, probably longer if I pair them well with what I already have on hand. And I see on my receipt that I saved over $17! Now a 40% savings does make me feel better and my shopping trip has just gotten better. Of course I was reading my receipt as I was heading out the door of the store, so it's hard for me to pinpoint if it was the fleeing of the store or the actual savings that brightened my mood! Regardless, I am happy to have food in my cupboards and I won't have to go back to the store for awhile. Next time I will plan better and not go at rush hour! :)

4 comments:

Escape Brooklyn said...

Your description makes me hate your grocery store, too! How stressful.

But mac & cheese is the best food ever. It's become an important part of my diet lately because it's so quick and easy to make. I've been hooked on the Annie's brand (the one with the cheese that doesn't require additional ingredients), and it's so good! It's the perfect comfort food after a long day. ;)

SMB said...

I, too have had baggers act exasperated when I've brought cloth bags. What the heck?

change is a good thing said...

I took my cloth bags in to Target one day and the cashier was completely baffled, told me she couldn't use them. You should have seen the look on her face when I said, "alright, no bag then" and proceeded to bag it myself! :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about hateing the gorcery store, I hate it too, it gets expensive, how did you endup saving $17? Im lucky if I save $1
Goodwork!