Monday, October 22, 2007

Budget Schmudget........

This past weekend I was looking over my budget and getting mad at myself for going over in some areas. And then realizing that there were several areas where I had not spent anything and haven't spent anything for months and months! I'm wondering if trying to budget so tightly is hurting, rather than helping me.

I am going to try something new next month and see how it goes. I've decided that I am going to spend freely without a budget and see where my money goes. BUT, before I do anything, I am going to pay myself and put money into savings. Then I will allow myself to spend without trying to make sure that I am under budget in every area. I think the constraints of this have been causing me such anguish, then when I go over, I feel like I have failed. For instance, since I know I am going on vacation at the end of the month, I set my budget up to have hardly any grocery money and of course, I have gone over my budgeted amount. Now I feel like I have failed that area of my budget and was really getting down on myself for it yesterday. Last night, it came to me. Why did I think I could get by on such a small amount of money for food this month? I'm only going to be gone the last 2 days of the month. Not very well thought out on my part!

I tend to go in spurts of spending money, so I am very curious to see how this new plan goes for me. I think for the month of November I will wipe out my budgeted amounts on my spreadsheet and although I will keep track of what I spend in the different categories, I won't put target amounts in. I'm just curious as to where my money is going. I'll try to keep very good track and report back to let you know how it's going. Any comments?

No comments: