Friday, August 17, 2007

Mid-month review of budget

I had been afraid that August was going to be expensive since July came in so far under budget, but so far, so good! I have my mortgage payment written and am just waiting for the statement to arrive. I paid an extra $283.52 this month.

My grocery budget seems almost non existent this month, I think due to the fact that I helped my parents move and since they were moving everything in to storage and staying in a hotel for the next several months, I was the lucky recipient of most of their frozen and refrigerated foods! Yah! And, I got a new Rx this month from my Dr. and I had a coupon for a $30 gift card at the grocery store for getting a new or transferred Rx done there. So, I will hold on to that and may even be able to eat the food from my parents long enough that I will be able to put the gift card towards September's grocery budget!

Taking the extra days off of work didn't add significantly to my spending in any categories really. I did go and get a manicure/pedicure one day, but that was at the beauty school so very inexpensive. The student that did my work also told me to come back next time just to get a polish change, they still file your nails, trim loose cuticles and give the oil treatment, then fresh polish all for only $3, instead of the usual $8 for a manicure. Sounds good to me, I will give it a try. Other than that, I didn't go out much, so my gas bill was down and I ate at home a lot, so nothing significant added to the dining out portion of my budget. :)

Still not paying the utilities or the condo dues at my new place, so I have been stashing some of that money in savings and also adding it to my Roth IRA. With the raise I got in July, I increased my contributions to my Simple IRA by 1%, which still left me with a small raise in my take home pay as well. Yah!

So far, August is looking like a pretty good one for me, with increases in my net worth on the way. And I feel like I am continually finding ways to reign in my spending. A couple of things I would like for my condo I am going to try to hold off on, and add them to my Christmas wish list!

Hope August is going well for everyone else too! I do think I might have to go buy some fall clothes for work, but I think I will be able to get by with just adding a few basics. That will mean a trip to the outlet mall where I can get pants pretty reasonably priced.

Happy Friday! Make it a great weekend!

No comments: