Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I thought I was way behind......

on my financial planning for retirement until yesterday! I finally went to a financial planner to see where I am at and where I could be and what I need to be doing to get where I want, when I want. Turns out, I was actually doing pretty well with the planning I had done on my own to this point. Now, that doesn't mean that there wasn't room for improvement, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that at 35, I was doing pretty well already, so all I really needed was some fine tuning. I feel really good about some of the decisions I had made on my own and about the things we changed yesterday to get me to my goals sooner. I also think just going and sitting down with the planner was the kick in the butt I needed to get me back on gear and reaffirming my focus and goals so that I will continue to be diligent in this pursuit of financial freedom. I would like to be fully retired or at least have the option to be by the time I am 60, that gives me 25 years to continue working hard to attain this goal. I think I will go back and see the FP in about 6 months to see where I am then, what might need to be done and just to keep me on point, I think it will be good for me. I didn't make a lot of changes, but some I knew he would suggest and I felt pleased that I had anticipated his suggestions and it was nice to hear that he thought I had been doing a good job on my own so far. I'll keep you posted in the next few months to see where things go with the few changes I have made. Hopefully I'll start to see more of an increase in my net worth. ;)

2 comments:

AndyfromSimi said...

Nice to read that you're on track with the savings... Keep on trucking!

We've also been increasing our wealth here at the Found Money Jar! We will be purchasing a new investment soon with funds from our bottles and cans recycling.

Andy from Simi

Still Figuring It All Out said...

I picked up "Prince Charming Isn't Coming" today. I need all of the motivation I can get to help me save money. I never qualify for these surveys that I get sent :( Thanks for your inspiration!!