Friday, July 27, 2007

An very inexpensive month

July has been (I thought) a relatively expensive month for me, but now that there are only a couple days left in the month I am happy to report I will come in about $300 under budget! Yeah! I'm pouring over all of my information trying to figure out how this can be. Hmmm, I'm hoping this doesn't mean I screwed up somewhere and August is going to be expensive!

I paid an extra $257.21 on my mortgage this month, still plugging away at getting down to the 80% so I can drop the PMI. It's only about $57/month which I know isn't bad, but if I can drop it sooner, rather than later I will be able to have that much more go to principal AND there will be less of a principal balance that I can be charged interest on. I really hate paying interest!! Not sure if I really know anyone who likes it, but I have an extreme disdain for it!

My grocery and gas budgets were hardly tapped at all this month, I think due to the fact that I had gum surgery and wasn't eating much and didn't feel up to going out too much, this also has left a huge chunk of my entertainment budget in place as well. Oh, and I didn't buy any new clothes either, so that helps. I guess that would also explain the minimal eating out this month as well.

I did buy new tires for my car, but I had that money saved already for that purpose. Oh, I love having my new tires! My car rides so much smoother and is SO much quieter! :) Simple pleasures!

I have really enjoyed this mellow, quiet month and haven't felt like I missed out on anything spectacular by staying home a lot. I read several really great books, all borrowed from the library of course. I watched several movies at home on my free movie channels and On Demand that were free.

My mom bought me a book and told me not to be offended before she gave it to me, but she thought I might really enjoy it. And she was right. I'm a 35 year old, single gal and the book she bought me........can anyone guess? I'll post the answer next week, but I want to see if you have any ideas. The book taught me a lot about my finances and my outlook on what I had been doing, what I still need to do and what I have done right and wrong up to this point. If you have a guess let me know!

I am heading to a parade tomorrow evening which involves the entire day of staking out a good spot and waiting. My friend and I will take snacks with us and some books to keep us busy. Then the rest of our friends and family that are coming will be there around dinner time and will bring us a nice dinner in payment for keeping their seats for the big parade. Tonight I will be baking treats for us all to share tomorrow as well.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

Escape Brooklyn said...

Mother presents are dangerous! The book my mom recently wanted to buy me was "The Secret" (I told her hell no). I've also gotten those "Mars & Venus" books as presents in the past, but that was when I was having relationship issues so I'm not sure they apply. Can't wait to read what she got you! ;)