Monday, June 4, 2007

Sorry to have been gone for a bit, I had to head out of town for work unexpectedly, but now I'm back! It's funny how the brain works, the entire time I was doing my food stamp challenge I felt like I was starving! I could only think about things to eat that I in no way could have afforded with my $21 for the week. And I was so excited for the week to be over and to go buy all the things that sounded so good. I get to the grocery store and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't think of anything that I had been wishing for during the previous week. I think it's a mind over matter type of thing. Since I didn't mind spending more on groceries when the project was over, I didn't mind what I was eating! I went to the grocery store ready to really splurge and as I looked at things that sounded good, I would look at the price and say to myself, "Wow, that seems like an awful lot to spend on ...." Maybe the experiment was good in that it has made me think about what I am buying and spending on food and I will perhaps be somewhat more frugal in that manner. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

As for this past weekend, I didn't spend much money. I could have, but I'm happy to say that I didn't. I watched my niece and nephew on Friday night and could have taken them to a movie like I would usually do, but instead we played outside at the park and went for a walk. We colored and watched a movie at home and had a blast. Saturday I went to the local farmer's market and could have bought some gorgeous flowers, but I decided to just enjoy them there and leave them for someone else to buy. :) Sunday was a my mom's 60th birthday, so we had a family BBQ and had a great time just spending time together as a family. I think I spend about $35 for the whole weekend, including a trip to the grocery store.

I went to the library and stocked up on several books and have been sitting on my balcony reading in the evenings and thoroughly enjoying it. I am having a great time finding more and more things to do that cost little to nothing. It's nice to indulge in these frugal activities.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

SavingDiva said...

Congrats on having so much fun with your frugalness!

I was thinking about doing the food stamp challenge with my groceries, but I'm still just trying to get out of the habit of eating out for every meal. Baby steps...