Friday, June 8, 2007

Feeling groovy.......

I am feeling really good about my finances right now. Of course I wish I had more in retirement and a larger emergency fund, but all in all, I have achieved several rather large goals over the last couple of years. I finished paying off all of my credit card debt, student loans, car loan AND I purchased my first home! Yeah! While in the process of paying off my debt and loans I really didn't do anything "for me" during that time. I rarely bought ANYTHING during this time. I had no new clothes unless my underwear or socks got holes in them. I didn't do anything to spoil myself either. So, yesterday I took the day off from work and went shopping with my 2 best friends. We had a ball, we went to the outlet mall and I got some very fun, cute, new duds! I got 2 skirts, 2 pair of shorts, 2 pair of pants, a dress, a sweater set, 6 bras, and a couple of shirts, all for $276!! The clothes are nice ones too, coming from Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Adidas, etc and the bras are all Maidenform. Then I went to the mall to meet up with my mom and I knew I was going to need some warm fleece pants this weekend because I am doing a long charity walk where I will be walking overnight, so I got those and a fleece coat, both for a total of $91! Now, I am not really much of a shopper, but it was really, really fun to get all kinds of new stuff. And of course I am wearing a skirt and the sweater set today! :)

Also while we were out shopping I took my car in for a maintenance service. The total bill for that was $77.56, plus the news that I will be needing a new battery and new tires. Both of which I was expecting to be coming soon. But, I have no problem spending the money on these things, my car is 7 years old and this will be the first time I have replaced the tires and the battery. The car only has 68,000 miles on it and it's a Honda, so I just may end up driving it for another 7 years, at which point my nephew will be getting his license and I think it would make a great first car for him. Maintaining a car is so much cheaper than buying a new one, and I still really like my car, so why would I want to go out and get a new one?!

Now I am looking forward to the weekend and the charity walk, hopefully it won't get too cold, but if it does, I'll be fine with my new fleece pants! :) Make it a great one all!

1 comment:

Kansas Simplicity said...

Wow...great accomplishment and you are an inspiration! It is great to be debt free (except home which is an investment) and have the ability to achieve your goals. Congratulations again and you are doing a great job in all your efforts! Keep up the great work.....Simplicity in Kansas