Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I am on day 4 of my food stamp challenge

and it is getting really boring. I am not very creative I guess when it comes to figuring out what to eat for only $21 for the entire week. Needless to say I was happy to see Single Ma's post that typically people on assistance were not eating on such a small budget, I can't imagine being able to make it. This is the 3rd meal of spaghetti that I have had, along with 2 grilled cheese sandwiches and lots of Cheerios and toast. This little project has made me realize that I can probably cut down on my food budget in some places, but that I would rather find a different area in which to save. I like to eat way too much to be able to make it on such slim pickins. I will continue on until Friday, but not happily! Oh well, if nothing else, maybe I will drop a couple pounds.

4 comments:

Sense to Dollars said...

Good luck and goodonya for taking on this challenge!

and thanks for the comment on my page!

nhcardhunter said...

You could always have mac and cheese with hotdogs. That's a cheap meal. Egg Salad and Tuna are options as well.

Best,

Jim

AndyfromSimi said...

Very much like my college days... can you say Ramen and MacNCheese. Cheez Whiz and Bread... absolutely, awesome! PEANUT Butter and Mustard Sandwich!

I commend you for trying... Not me... too fat and happy!

You could make quezadillas... that's cheap. Buy some frozen mixed-veggies and onions to add to the Ramen noodles with pepper, oregano, garlic and cilantro.

AndyfromSimi said...

My wife and I usually have dinner out each night... Spending can be as low as $25.00, or as high as $70.00 per meal as we have two kids. My daughter is 10 and orders a full adult dish, now.

Anyway, we can afford it as my wife is an SVP in a Fortune 500 company and my income comes from a sizable investment portfolio... mostly dividends and some rental property.

However, lately she has been working late and the kids start to tire around 8:30P.M. So, we've taken to eating at home these last few evenings... well, three nights anyway... Tonight, most likely, again, we'll have dinner at home.

We've decided to start a special petty cash jar in the kitchen adding $30 each night we eat at home as our average nightly outside meal cost is $40 and eating at home cost about $10... depending on the faire. So, far there's $90 in the jar.

BTW, Trader Joe's has some nice heat and serve dishes. CHEAP!