Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Another windfall....

This condo thing is very interesting! I received a phone call on Friday afternoon from the condo office saying they needed to talk to me about my unit. I called the gal back and she said there was a discrepancy in the measurement of my condo unit. Seems that they first surveyor incorrectly measured and was off by 61 square feet. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately for me, the condo is actually smaller than what I was originally told. So, they were offering 1 of 2 options to solve this problem. They would either purchase my unit back from me at my purchase price or refund me 3% of my purchase price. I thought about it a lot over the weekend and decided that I didn't want to move, wouldn't know where I would move and the fact remains, it is still the same condo I fell in love with. So, Monday morning I called the gal back and said I would like to take the 3% refund, but that I would also like to purchase a storage unit. So, I picked up the appropriate documents, had them notarized and received my check for 3%. I then wrote the developer a check for my storage unit and have come out way ahead still. Also nice is that now I have a storage unit that will help add to the resale of my condo later. :) Yeah! So, I have started to build up my savings again with the extra money, purchased a storage unit and am even happier with my condo now than I originally was. What would you have done?? I'm curious!

2 comments:

Escape Brooklyn said...

Good call - I definitely would have taken the 3% too. And although I personally wouldn't want the storage (too much temptation to then buy more stuff), you're right about it adding to your resale value later.

Kansas Simplicity said...

This is great news. Congratulations.