Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A scattering of thoughts....

As I was saying earlier, I am really starting to embrace frugality and a simpler lifestyle. I have checked out some books on the subject at the library and am learning a lot. I have also started tracking my spending and am noticing that just by having to write each penny down, I am spending less. Maybe just making myself accountable is making it harder for me to spend money. I have been continuing to declutter and have sold some more items on Craigslist and donated a bag of clothing to the local women's shelter. I'm sure I will find more to send their way soon. All the items I have sold on Craigslist, I have put the money in my savings account to add to my down payment money. I love watching that account grow! I am making do with some things I already have on hand before buying new. And I am currently in a grocery shopping freeze with the exception of milk and produce. I am going to see how long I can go with only buying the few essentials. So far I have only spent $11.14 this month on groceries. Not bad! If you go to www.aquafresh.com you can get a coupon for a free trial size tube of toothpaste. I fixed my CD player and now that it is working I can list it on Craigslist too. Hmm, what else is going on? Not much here, just learning to live better with less and I am really enjoying it. I will continue to keep you posted as I learn.

5 comments:

shawna said...

Wow...$11.14 on groceries. Impressive!

Bailey said...

I like the grocey freeze. We have been trying to do the same, but it is hard.

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

What types of food are you eating?

Kansas Simplicity said...

Thanks for the toothpaste lead! Good stuff and that will save me a few dollars for sure. Keep up the great work and simplification for me has been a series of small steps that really focused on my financial and personal goals. I have found it has made a lot of room - time and money - for me to engage in other activities.

SMB said...

I too write down what I spent; I've been doing it for a couple of years now (ever since I read "Your Money or Your Life"). Now it's a habit and I also think I'm spending less. I also pay more attention at the cash register--it used to be I'd just hand over whatever amount I was told to pay, and find out later that I hadn't gotten the sale price on something. Now I can tell if something doesn't sound right.