Friday, March 16, 2007

Grocery shopping hiatus

In response to my last entry, anonymous asked me what I eat. Well I am currently on a grocery shopping hiatus, but that doesn't mean I am skimping on what I eat. I have an overstocked pantry that I am in the process of eating through. I also have a fully stocked freezer with lots of great stuff. I have a friend who is a fisherman and he gave me lots of salmon and halibut so I have been eating a lot of that. I also shop at Costco for meat a lot and break the bigger packages up into smaller ones and then freeze, this is coming in handy now as well. I tend to stock up on things I know I will use when I find them on sale. I also eat a lot of in season fruits and vegetables which I get at the local farmers market, very inexpensively. I use powdered milk for cooking and I drink a lot of water. I do like to bake so I make a lot of homemade treats and share them at work. It's a win win for everyone. I am currently growing my own herbs in my garden window, this is a first for me so I will see how it goes. Also, a good savings tip, if you are buying spices, don't buy them from the regular spice aisle in the grocery store, if you go over a couple aisles you will find them in the ethnic sections MUCH cheaper or if convenient, you can shop at ethnic stores, even better savings! I tend to buy cheaper cuts of meat and marinate them really well or cook them in my crockpot which makes them super tender. Ahh, the crockpot, now that is an exceptional way to save money as well. If you don't have one, you should get one, I use mine year round! I hope that answers the question of what I eat! :) I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

No comments: